The Patton House is an architectural and historical treasure. It was built in 1888 as a duplex and was the residence for U.S. Army officers until the end of World War II, including Col. George S. Patton in 1938 (Regimental Commander, 5th Cavalry). It then served as a part-time home for Herman and Margarett Brown (Brown & Root), until purchase by the current owners in 1985. In addition the Patton House has been temporary home for a vast array of luminaries visiting its residents, for example Lyndon Johnson, “Black Jack” Pershing and John Connally.
The Patton House is two story with 18″ thick limestone block construction and 11′ ceilings. It has 10,000+ sq.’ with 12 bedrooms, many of which open onto 2nd floor screened-in porches. During the Brown and Root era, it was converted from a duplex to a single family residence, and central air/heat was added. The many sitting, dining and living rooms are filled with original architectural fixtures, as well as artifacts pertaining to the many periods of history in Ft. Clark’s proud past. Below are photos of 1 of the 2 dining rooms; 1 of the 3 living rooms; and a few of the bedrooms.